The PLAY Project
Dr. Richard Solomon, founder of the PLAY Project and Joy Manning, founder of PLAY with Joy (2012)
The PLAY Project is a research-based intervention for kids with autism ages 6 and younger. I began my certification in the PLAY project in 2009. I also have a background in other autism interventions, but my preference for young kids is definitely the PLAY Project.
The PLAY Project is based on Stanley Greenspan’s DIR / Floortime, a relationship based and developmental approach to intervention for kids with autism.
Here are just a few things I love about The PLAY Project.
- Parents are trained to be the interventionist
- Kids thrive in their natural environment, and generalize skills better
- Family relationships are strengthened
- Everything is individualized based on the child’s strengths, interests, and needs
- Techniques can be used in everyday activities like mealtimes, bath time, or bed time
- It’s fun!